Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Leigh McDonald, Castle Acre

Castle Acre

I've found that the places I most enjoy traveling to are those with cultures very different from my own. Not only did the town of Castle Acre offer the historic ruins of the priory, but it gave us a look into what some peoples lives are like in rural towns. Although Castle Acre had modern amenities like wifi in the local bread and breakfast, and streets wide enough for cars to pass, because of the nature of the small town, I felt like I was able to get a feel for what it would have been like to live in a small English village in centuries past. 

After dinner one night, the student group decided to stay in the pub and have a few drinks. We were able to engage with the locals and ask them about their daily lives. Some of the young men were farmers and lived a few miles away, but met with friends whenever they got the chance at the town's only pub. The locals were friendly and eager to entertain us in conversation. Not only this, but I felt as if I could observe a difference in their mannerisms and ours. Because many of the pub-goers were farmers, and lived in the rural area surrounding the town, life for them was most likely slow paced and constant. A man at the pub sat by himself with his dog just observing the ongoings of the establishment. I gained a deeper appreciation for a simpler life, one not plagued by smartphones, constant international news, and intercity commutes. 

Perhaps the most astounding feature of the priory ruins were the tunnels that the Monks used to enter the chapel during the night. Our tour guide told us that the Monks' services started at 2 a.m. This fact so startled me, that I asked for clarification. I remember asking Olmert who would go to such a service in the middle of the night. Olmert reminded me that the life of a Monk was committed to service. Even as I am not a religious person myself, I found the kind of selflessness that the Monks exhibited admirable. To deprive themselves of sleep, food, and comfort so that they could better serve the purpose they believed in is truly astonishing. 
 
 
Castle Acre

No comments:

Post a Comment