Monday, July 1, 2013

My Favorite Things

Getting to know London on a personal level was a true adventure.  I loved so many things about it that I just had to tell you all about a few of them. 

First off, my favorite meal: fish and chips!  I have never been a fan of the dish and I was always confused when my dad ordered it all the time back home but now after going to the Rock and Sole I can't get enough!  I was hooked! (Pun intended) By the end of our stay I believe I ordered fish and chips around 8 or 9 times but every time I was fully satisfied.

Next up, favorite plays: Children of the Sun, Midsummer’s Nights Dream and Mission Drift.  Yes, it’s true, I loved too many of the shows to pick just one favorite.  Children of the Sun was astounding (you can read all about why in my first blog) but I must say Midsummer’s Nights Dream was absolutely hysterical!  Julie and I were dead center along the stage and I was cracking up the entire time.  It’s also worth mentioning that that all of the male actors were quite handsome.  The Globe Theater is truly beautiful and even with the simple sets; I was instantly drawn into the story and believed I was watching these lovers and fairies run around in the forest. As for Mission Drift, I loved it for the music and for their take on capitalism.  One line stood out to me in particular was, “If you believe in money, then you believe in God.”    The woman who narrated the story and sang most of the tunes was beyond fabulous.  Her voice was rather unique but she could still belt it like Celine Dion. I even bought the soundtrack the next day when we returned to the National Theater for the backstage tour.   

Favorite Art Museum: The Tate.  They had several rooms dedicated to JMW Turner and I honestly fell head over heals in love with his paintings.  There was this one in particular that was untitled by Turner and murkily portrayed a skeleton riding a horse.  It was very creepy but I was instantly drawn to it for some reason.  The plaque next to the piece mentioned that no one knew what Turner was trying to represent.  They guessed it could either be a representation the black plague or of his father who died a few before the work was completed.  Besides the Turner section, I loved the modern pieces as well.  There was an entire room dedicated to African-like tribal statues which all subtly represented McDonalds.  I didn’t know exactly what to take from it all but I thought it was quite provocative.  There was another really cool piece called The Elephant, which I saw as a commentary on the long-term effects of colonialism.   

I honestly could go on and on about all the amazing things in London.  It’s a beautiful city that seems to transcend time with the newest buildings going up right next to 15th, 16th and 17th century churches and buildings.  I know I must return to London again in the near future and I cannot wait to go back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment