Saturday, June 8, 2013

Reboot.

Oh dear, those past three days..ugh. I awoke 5 June with a sore throat and slightly blocked nose. "No biggie," i thought to myself, "it's probably just a small head cold and will disappear in a couple hours." So I proceed to find a chemist (a pharmacist) and bought some lozenges on my way to Kings Cross Station. Thankfully I was not sick enough to miss getting the picture of Harry Potter's trolley at platform 9 ¾.

DSCN0458The day went smoothly and we all got the chance to walk around the most beautiful ruins I've ever seen. We visited first the Castle Acre priory, which dates all the way back to 1090. HOW DO YOU GET MORE INTO HISTORY THAN THAT? Except that we then visited a castle from about the same time period. Mind you, WE WALKED DOWN A ROMAN ROAD to get there. Bad-effing-ass. The story of the priory and the castle and all the different parts are fascinating. I really suggest a visit should you ever get the chance. And if you do, go visit Dr. Helen Paterson. Not only is she knowledgeable, she is a retired archaeologist with YEARS of experience and can really tell you whatever you may want to know about these sites.

DSCN0688We walked all day around these and went to a delicious dinner afterwards at the only local pub. I had been feeling all right most of the day since the lozenges seemed to be helping, but exhaustion was getting to me. I managed to hang out with my classmates at the pub after dinner though. The next day, however, I was getting worse. My throat hurt far more, my nose was far more stuffed, I was still tired. We went that day to Norwich (pronounced Norridge) to see a gorgeous cathedral and a 15th century hall/pub/brothel. This is when I discovered that my camera hadn't charged overnight so I couldn't even get pictures of it all.

By dinner time, everyone was pooped and I had a full-blown chest cold now. Everything ached and I just wanted bed. When we finally arrived back at our flat after a too-long train ride, we discovered that our flat had blown a fuse. Between four girls with computers, laptops, etc., there were only two outlets working and nothing could be done until the next day. We woke up in the morning and what do we see now but water coming through the light fixture in our bathroom ceiling. We just couldn't deal with that. So, the summary for yesterday morning: no camera charged, no power, a leak in the bathroom, possibility we would have to switch flats, and I'm still sick as a dog. UGH.

TODAY however, we have all had a chance to reboot. We had a light day of lecture yesterday when we returned to the flat in the afternoon, everything was repaired. We were able to charge everything and take a nap. We saw Children of the Sun at the London National Theatre (which was Ah-mazing!!!) and everyone loved it. We basically all got a chance to just take a moment and breath. This was glorious. So today will be a good day. Everything is looking better and we can get back to normal, mostly. I'm still waiting for this cough to go away completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment